- Comox Valley Rides – 2021 Protocols With COVID-19 Restrictions (detailed instructions on how to sign up for weekly rides)
- CCCTS 2021 Signup Sheet (the weekly ride signup form in Google Sheets)
- Comox Valley Route Catalogue (for help in choosing a route to ride)
- How to set up notifications in Google Sheets (instructions on how to be notified when a new ride is posted for example)
- How to create a free Google account (a Google account is needed edit the signup form)
- Getting to Google Sheets on your PC (one of many ways to go to Google Sheets on a PC. On a mobile device simply download the Google Sheets app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store)
- Order of the Provincial Health Officer (Gatherings and Events) (the latest PHO)
- CCCTS COVID-19 National Safety Plan
October 10, 2021
The Chapter encourages all its members to share their cycling experiences through photos. There are 3 Google Photos Albums available for viewing and commenting.
Of the three, the following one is open for uploads. This album is like a diary, with commentary and the photos are in chronological order. Follow the link, then “Join” and upload or transfer your photos.
A similar “diary style” album exists for the 2020 ride season. This album is now closed for uploads but users can still comment on photos.
The third album is comprised of all photos from both the 2020 and 2021 season and is in a “latest photos first” format. There is no diary commentary and photos cannot be uploaded to this album.
2021 Season Notes:
Aug 1, 2021
The 2021 weekly ride season began Friday March 12, 2021. Rides have been held almost every week since (only one weather related cancellation so far 🙂 ).
The latest Order of the Provincial Health Officer with respect to “Gatherings and Events” was issued July 7, 2021. The order lifted many restrictions on both outdoor and indoor events and dropped any specific mention of “Sport” or “Adult Group Sport”. On July 7, the province was hitting COVID-19 vaccination targets and case counts were falling. However, a worrying trend has been developing in the weeks since, as the Delta variant is now driving case counts up, almost exclusively among those not vaccinated. Sadly, this is resulting in some vaccinated people becoming infected as well. The bottom line is we are not out of this pandemic yet and caution is still warranted.
On July 16, 2021 the CCCTS Board relaxed some of the COVID-19 guidelines around weekly rides. Namely…
- Guests are now invited to participate on CCCTS weekly rides, provided they have been fully vaccinated and adhere to CCCTS safety guidelines and current COVID protocols
- Ride leaders no longer need to keep a list of participants for the purposes of contact tracing. With participants being double vaccinated the risk of transmitting the virus is much reduced. Contact tracing, if necessary, will be handled by the provincial health authority.
In response to the fact that contact tracing list is no longer required, the Comox Valley Chapter is offering members a second option for weekly Friday rides effective August 6, 2021. This is in additon to the sign-up process currently employed.
Members who, for whatever reason, do not wish to pre-register for a ride but would prefer to organize themselves into groups and choose the route they would like to ride are encouraged to meet at 9 AM starting Friday Aug. 6 (10 AM starting Sep. 3) at the old Canadian Tire parking lot on the corner of Ryan Road and Old Island Highway 19A. (Due to work on the 5th St. bridge and the fact that the Filberg Centre is currently being used as a COVID-19 vaccination centre, it is thought that meeting at that traditional location would not be a good idea at this time.)
A list of commonly ridden routes in the area are contained in the CCCTS Comox Valley Chapter – Route Catalogue as an assist in choosing routes.
Members choosing this option are still required to follow the guidelines in the CCCTS COVID-19 National Safety Plan
It is hoped that this option will encourage more people to participate in weekly rides since this option does not require anyone to act as a “Ride Leader” and no one will have to assume the responsibility of keeping a record of who rode in their group.
All protocols are subject to revision as COVID-19 status in the province changes and the PHO on “Gatherings and Events” is updated. Check the above links often.
The Comox Valley chapter runs weekly Friday road rides from approximately mid-March to mid-October. Some mixed surface rides are also organized but they are not as frequent and occur on various days of the week based on the ride coordinator’s preference. The guidelines that the chapter follows in setting up the annual ride schedule are summarized here.
End of 2020 Season Notes:
October 2, 2020
Well, COVID-19 definitely played havoc with our attempts to run club sanctioned rides this season. Barring a widespread vaccine rollout in the first half of 2021, the start of the 2021 season may very well be much like today.
Attempts to run club sanctioned rides in 2020 by following the protocols issued July 14, 2020 in this email were not successful. Over the winter we’ll put our thinking caps on and see if we can come up with some revised protocols for spring rides if physical distancing is still to be adhered to.
Regrettably, all remaining rides on the 2020 schedule are cancelled. 😥
If you have any questions about the Comox Valley rides please contact Eamonn Ryan at email@example.com