You need to login in order to sign up for this ride. ‐‐ Completed
- Leader: Richard Morris 250-465-8597
- Co-leader: Jean MacDonald 250-383-8645
- Tour Contractor: Sitnica, Alen Augustin
- Trip Dates: Wed, 20 May 2020 -- Tue, 2 Jun 2020
- Trip Classification: Intermediate/ Advanced
- Trip Fee: $3070 CAD
- Trip Numbers: minimum 12 , maximum 18
- Trip Registration Opens: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 5:00 PM (pacific time)
- Registration Lottery Ends: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 5:00 PM (pacific time)
- Trip Registration Closes: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 5:00 PM (pacific time)
This Tour has been cancelled due to COVID-19
The tour will be lead by Alen Augusten of Sitnica Tours. They have previously contracted four successful CCCTS-sponsored tours of Croatia in 2012, '13, '15 and '16 and is described by participants "....as well organized, capable and personable." This tour is shorter in riding distance and days than the previous tours but still offers plenty of fantastic scenery and the Croatian culture. The tour will be guided by Alen and accompanied by their van and driver.
Croatia has a population of 4 .3 million and prides itself on its cultural, artistic, scientific, and athletic accomplishments, as well as scenery, cuisine and wine. The entire western border is on the Adriatic Sea where there are over a thousand islands and is one of the most dramatic coastlines in the Mediterranean region.
The first four days of the tour will be on the very scenic Istrian Peninsula (the Croatian Tuscany). The remaining ten days will be along the spectacular Dalmatian Coast with island hopping between the mainland and certain coastal islands. The tour will take in mountain vistas, coastal views, medieval towns, Roman architectural remains, olive orchards, vineyards ending in the World Heritage Site of Dubrovnik. Two non-cycling days are planned during the Tour to permit an in-depth savouring of Croatia's Adriatic culture and history.Accommodation Reservations:
Lodging is based on two persons (couples or same gender singles) sharing a double/twin room with half board (breakfast + dinner). The accommodation is based on 3 star or 4 star hotels/guesthouses. There is a single room supplement of 170 Euros for the whole tour.Riding Conditions:
Total cycling distance is 578 km, over 9 riding days, with an average of 64 km per day. The road conditions are asphalt paving, with some narrow roads but mostly not too busy. The tour is classified as intermediate/ advanced with significant hills and some steep climbs. The average daily ascent is 880m for a total of 7,920m, with the hardest day having 1,100m. Participants will need to be capable of climbing hills, but will be rewarded with spectacular descents.
Sitnica Tours can provide excellent bike rentals, as noted below. If you're thinking of renting, Alen would like you to contact him by email. For those planning to bring bikes, a touring bike (28 mm tires) or a hybrid bike is recommended. Road bikes with 23 mm tires are not advised. A van will be available at all times to transport luggage and ill or injured riders. A maximum of two bags, no heavier than 18 kg each will be permitted.Fee Includes:
- Accommodation on basis of half board (breakfast + dinner)
- Supporting vehicle plus luggage transport
- Trailer for the bikes when needed
- English speaking cycling guide and driver of the van (both guide and driver also speak Croatian)
- Maps and day by day route descriptions
- Transfers as mentioned in the itinerary
- GPS courses of the routes through RideWithGPS
- Sitnica liability insurance; though each participant should have own medical insurance
- Technical assistance for minor bike maintenance
- Secure place to store bike boxes
- Tickets to all ferry crossings
- The fee collected by the CCCTS Tour Coordinator includes a currency exchange rate contingency allowance and the coordinator's fee. The tour cost is based on the minimum number of participants. Any unused amounts will be refunded to the participants after the tour.
- Lunches not included- but if everybody chooses to have prepaid lunches, the cost will be Euro 100 per person (not available individually)
- Transportation on free days
- Bike rental is not included but can be arranged from Alen for 250 Euro per bike for the tour.
- Arrival transfers from Pula or Trieste airport to starting point: Euro 140, one way per transfer/per van. A van can take 7 or 8 passengers.
- Departure transfers from Dubrovnik to airport - not done by Sitnica.
- Medical health insurance
- City guide (in case you need one for Split/Dubrovnik or Zadar)
- Extra nights before or after the trip will be paid locally at the Reception of hotel in question
- Transfer of bike boxes: there is optional 500 Euro charge for the transfer of all large bike boxes from our starting hotel to the end of the ride, if desired.
- The trip back to Istria with Alen's van does not include any passengers because usually the van is full (bikes, etc.) and usually most participants fly out from Dubrovnik.
Day 1-20/05 Arrivals at airports Pula (CRO) or Trieste (IT), transfers to the hotel in northwest Istria, Croatia, check-in hotel, sorting out the bikes, a briefing and a welcome dinner. (Alen says that people arriving earlier could book extra nights at the hotel and then they could pay after arrival at Reception at the hotel). Transfer time from Trieste to Istria equals 1 1/2 hours; from Pula to northwest Istria equals 1 hour.
Day 2 -21/05 Route: Buje-Motovun about 57 km/780m elevation Today we go through the famous country of the truffle. The last ascent of the day will be to the imposing hilltop town of Motovun. Tonight we will be eating and sleeping in a former Venetian fortress.
Day 3-22/05 Route: Motovun-Labin about 75 km/950m elevation This will be a real Istrian experience because of the back country scenery of olive orchards and vineyards where the famous Istrian Malvazija wine originates.
Day 4-23/05 Route: Labin-Cres Island-Cres about 61 km/900m elevation Today is the first breakout to the Islands. We cycle along the cliffs of the open coastline of the Istrian peninsula. Here we will see the unspoiled scenery of Cres Island, the second largest island in Croatia. Dinner and overnight in the town of Cres.
Day 5-24/05 Free day in Cres
Day 6-25/05 Route: Cres-Krk-Rab about 60 km/1100m elevation Our goal today is the beautiful island of Rab, which is a scenic island in Kvarner Bay. To reach our goal we will not only have to cycle but spend some relaxing time on two different boats. Accommodation tonight will be in one of the most beautiful Mediterranean places in the Adriatic, Rab
Day 7-26/05 Route: Rab-Pag about 70 km/880m elevation Three islands on our schedule today, Rab, Pag and Zadar. We cycle on the island of Pag and after crossing we meet at the town of Pag before the afternoon transfer to Zadar.
Day 8-27/05 Free day in Zadar
Day 9-28/05 Route: Zadar to Skradin about 70 km/550m elevation Today we will cycle across the region where the Croatian War was fought from 1991 - 1995. The highlight of today is Skradin, our final destination and entrance to the National Park of the Krka River. The three most attractive sites in the Park, Skradin Buka Falls, Roski Falls and the small Franciscan island of Visovac with a votive sanctuary, a library and a cultural and artistic treasury.
Day 10-29/05 Route: Skradin to Split about 80 km/900m elevation Today we travel through a region called "Zagora" or "Zagorje" which means an area on the other side of the mountain.
Day 11-30/05 Route: Vela to Korcula about 45 km/830m elevation We start off the morning with a 3 hour ferry crossing to the island of Korcula. Then we immediately start riding to the Unesco town of Korcula, from where Marco Polo left for his world famous journey to China.
Day 12-31/05 Route: Korcula to Peljesac Peninsula about 60km/1030m Our last cycling day starts with a ferry ride over to the peninsula of Peljesac and ends in Ston. There we will have a farewell dinner and night in Ston.
Day 13-01/06 Route: Ston to Dubrovnik Transfer Our last day will be in Dubrovnik where we will have a free afternoon to visit the town. Accommodation and farewell dinner in Dubrovnik.
Day 14-02/06 DeparturesRegistration and Participant Selection:
Registration will be on the CCCTS website on the date shown. A computerized lottery system and waitlist will be utilized in the event that the ride is over-subscribed. A $50 deposit is required. The lottery signup will run for 3 days, after which time the leader will review the results.
The selection process will consider the following criteria in evaluating candidates:
- fitness and riding ability and experience required for the tour,
- a history of demonstrating safe riding practices,
- acceptable social behavior,
- pairing of same gender singles in hotel rooms
The leader may interview riders or others who know them to verify their suitability for the tour.
The leader will notify registrants of their selection status and request the successful registrants make further payments. If the ride is not filled to capacity, registration will continue until the closing dates shown. Deposits are refundable if the registrant is not selected and does not wish to be waitlisted. Deposits and payments are considered non-refundable in the event of cancellation, unless replacement persons are found.
Payment will be collected by the Tour Coordinator in Canadian Dollars, using the CCCTS registration system, and converted to Euros and forwarded to Sitnica for the entire group. The Payment Schedule is as follows:
Deposit when registering; CDN $50,
Second payment when accepted, approx. Nov. 18, 2019: CDN $1,000
Third payment: March 1, 2020: CDN $1,720
Final payment: On arrival in Croatia to Tour Operator, Alen Augustin, equivalent of CDN $300 converted into Euros
Total: CDN $3,070