You need to login in order to sign up for this ride. ‐‐ Completed
- Leader: Garry Esau 250-550-9465
- Co-leader: Dianne White 250-503-7515
- Trip Dates: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 -- Sun, 21 Jun 2020
- Trip Classification: Intermediate/Advanced
- Trip Fee: $1230 CAD
- Trip Numbers: minimum 12 , maximum 18
- Trip Registration Opens: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 6:00 PM (pacific time)
- Registration Lottery Ends: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 6:00 PM (pacific time)
- Trip Registration Closes: Sun, 1 Mar 2020 6:00 PM (pacific time)
Experience the beautiful Okanagan with 10 days of scenic cycling, 2 motel nights and 8 nights of camping.
The tour will begin in the newly updated Cedar Falls Campground in Vernon where we will get acquainted and then spend the next day touring the Vernon area. This day will feature all 3 local lakes as well as a local cidery and orchard/bakery. Next we will head north through farmlands to Salmon Arm, loop back towards Fintry on Lake Okanagan. The cycling along this section is dramatic...high above the lake with spectacular views and some rather steep, narrow road sections. Then we will arrive in Penticton for 2 motel nights where there will be an optional rest day, wine touring options, and a special evening event of blind wine tasting. The next few days will showcase the South Okanagan with it's geologically diverse landscapes including massive vineyards, charming wineries, beautiful lakes and desert. Our last day will be a fun reprieve from all those hills as it will include a wonderful flat section along former rail beds. With the exception of 4-5 km, we are now able to cycle all the way from Kelowna to Vernon on the newly constructed Okanagan Rail Trail (50 km). This is virtually flat, paved and hard pack sections, very doable on road bikes. A great way to end our tour, cycling along side the lake of many colours, Kalamalka.
All tasks, including the driving, will be done by the participants. Detailed daily route maps and cue sheets, elevation profiles and road condition information will be provided at the commencement of the tour.
Please do note that this is rated intermediate/advanced. While the Okanagan does have some lovely rolling terrain, there will be considerable climbing on many of the days.Accommodation Reservations:
Campgrounds are a combination of private, municipal and provincial, all with showers available.
Mid-tour 2 nights stay in Penticton Sandman Motel. Amenities include indoor pool, hot tub, WiFi and restaurant. Rooms will be double occupancy.Riding Conditions:
Riding will follow local country roads and bike paths as much as possible; for most of the tour. There will be some sections of highway with good shoulders. Bike paths are paved or hard pack gravel suitable for road bikes. The total distance is approx. 700 km with 8,000 meters of climbing. The average daily distance and climb is 70km/ 800m. Daily rides will include some short steep sections with grades of 9-14%.
The support vehicle will carry the driver and 1 passenger only and is not intended as a sag wagon, but can carry a bike and rider in the event of an emergency or mechanical breakdown. Cooking and driving teams may also swap truck positions for part of the day with each other and with other riders needing a rest.
See the itinerary for full details of daily distances and climbing.Fee Includes:
The fee includes all accommodation in campgrounds and motel, vehicle parking for tour duration at Cedar Falls Campground, a support vehicle rental and fuel to haul communal kitchen and personal baggage, cooked breakfasts and dinners and bag lunch when camping, truck supported coffee breaks and snacks, and misc. expenses such as propane, firewood, maps and cue sheets, etc. Soft costs included are leaders fees, and contingency allowance. The fee is based on the minimum number of riders, so a surplus may result if the ride is fully subscribed. Any surplus funds remaining after the tour are returned to the participants.Fee Does Not Include:
The fee does not include transportation to and from the start and end of the ride, drinks, or meals when staying in motels, or rental bikes. A beer and wine pool will be operated at cost.Itinerary:
Destination and distances/elevation gain:
- June 11, Arrive Vernon (Cedar Falls campground) Group meeting 5:00 PM with Happy Hour
- June 12, Vernon (Cedar Falls Campground) Tri-Lake led ride 62 km, 775 meters
- June 13, Vernon to Salmon Arm (Hidden Valley Campground) 73 km, 583 meters
- June 14, Salmon Arm to Fintry (Fintry Provincial Park) 95 km, 1000 meters
- June 15, Fintry to Penticton (Sandman Motel) 96 km, 1375 meters
- June 16, Naramata Ride (Sandman Motel Penticton) 48 km, 600 meters or 59 km, 670 meters
- June 17, Penticton to Keremeos (Eagle RV & Campground) 53 km, 788 meters
- June 18, Keremeos to Oliver (Maple Leaf Motel & RV Campground) 76 km, 783 meters
- June 19, Oliver to Summerland (Peach Orchard Campsite) 68 km, 852 meters
- June 20, Summerland to Westbank (West Eagle Campground) 38 km, 628 meters
- June 21, Westbank to Vernon ( Cedar Falls Campground, vehicle location, tour end) 77 km, 630 meters
Note: Distances/vertical may change slightly due to campsite availability and/or road construction.Registration and Participant Selection:
Registration will be on the CCCTS website on the date shown. A computerized lottery system and wait list will be utilized in the event that the ride is over-subscribed. A $50 deposit is required. The lottery signup will run for 4 days, after which time the leaders will review the results.
**Motel rooms will be shared by couples or same gender singles. Please indicate if you are a couple when registering so that we can do a proper sort.**
The selection process will consider the following criteria in evaluating candidates:
- fitness, riding ability and experience required for the tour,
- a history of demonstrating safe riding practices,
- acceptable social behaviour.
- same gender singles pairing for motel stays
The leader may interview riders or others who know them to verify their suitability for the tour.
The leader will notify registrants of their selection status and request the successful registrants make a further payment. If the ride is not filled to capacity, registration will continue until the closing date shown. Deposits are refundable if registrant is not accepted or does not wish to be waitlisted. Deposits and payments are considered non-refundable in the event of cancellation, unless replacement persons are found.
- Deposit when registering: $50
- Second payment upon selection approx. Nov 15/19: $650
- Final payment Feb 29/20: $530
Annemieke Quinn, Jacob Van Der Heide, colleen vanderheide, Dianne White, Jerry Wyshnowsky