You need to login in order to sign up for this ride. ‐‐ Completed
- Leader: Paddy Kirk 250-592-6229
- Trip Dates: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 -- Tue, 21 Jan 2020
- Trip Classification: intermediate
- Trip Fee: $50 USD Note that the fee for this trip is NOT in Canadian Dollars.
- Trip Numbers: minimum 6 , maximum 24
- Trip Registration Opens: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 5:00 PM (pacific time)
- Registration Lottery Ends: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 5:00 PM (pacific time)
- Trip Registration Closes: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 5:00 PM (pacific time)
This 7-day hub and spoke is centred in the Southern California City of Oceanside, approximately 35 miles north of San Diego. Oceanside offers many bike routes north (into Orange County), east, and south (San Diego County). We will explore all these directions. We will do out and back rides, loops, and 1-ways using public transportation (commuter trains/light rail). Seniors can purchase inexpensive ½ price tickets. We will split into 2 groups each day to facilitate better group control and sometimes to accommodate public transit. Each group will have a Ride Leader and a Ride Sweep. Rides will include coffee and lunch stops. You can buy or bring your lunch.
The nearest airport is located in San Diego (SAN). Public transit is available (bus/train) to Oceanside Transit Center, about a 1 mile walk or cab ride from the suggested hotel. Another option is to rent a car at the San Diego airport and keep it for the week.
Bring US currency. While train tickets are purchased from a machine with a debit card, credit card, or cash, we sometimes found ticket machines only accept cash so bring some.
San Diego County and Orange County Public transit do not allow tandems, recumbents, or trikes on its buses, trains, or light rail. If you use one of these bicycle types, you won’t be able to do the full length of most planned rides or take public transit from or back to Oceanside.
A limited number of bike rentals are available in Oceanside from Allan’s Bike Shop on Pacific Coast Highway. You can Google options for other rental stores.
If a participant has an annual or senior US Park Pass, we ask him/her to bring it.
The California Visitor Center which offers free Oceanside and San Diego County bike maps, lists of attractions and restaurants, etc. is within 2 blocks of the hotel.Accommodation Reservations:
The Best Western Plus Oceanside Palms is within blocks of the beach, harbour, and downtown Oceanside. All rooms have a microwave, coffee maker and fridge. This hotel has free parking, wi-fi, pool and barbecue area. The price includes a hot breakfast each morning. Group Rate is $92 USD plus tax/night for a standard king room with 1 bed and $99 USD plus tax/night for a standard queen room with 2 beds, 72 hour cancellation policy. This rate is in effect until December 26, 2019. A link to book rooms will be provided to participants once registration is completed. Tax rate is 12.7%.Riding Conditions:
Daily mileage will be between 50 and 75 km. Most routes offer paved multi-use trails or good on-road shoulders. Riding along the Pacific Coast Highway (North and South) and in San Diego can be very busy with vehicles and other cyclists. Leaders will offer a “slower” pace but participants must be able to do hills.Fee Includes:
Tour fee includes cue sheets, maps, and social hour snacks
Surplus funds will be refunded to participants
Please note the tour fee of $50.00 is in US fundsFee Does Not Include:
Accommodation, meals, train/ferry fares, bike rental, airfare and one US park admission fee unless we have enough Senior and annual US park passes.Itinerary:
Wednesday January 15, 2020
5 pm: Registration and signup for rides. Refreshments will be served and cue sheets/maps will be distributed.
Thursday January 16 to Monday January 20, 2020
A choice of 2 rides will be offered each day, ranging from 50-75km. Most rides begin at 9 am. Each group will have a ride leader and a sweep
A tentative list of the daily rides with approximate mileages to be offered:
- Oceanside to Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar, Downtown San Diego (1 major hill 2.5K @ 5% grade at Torrey Pines) - 75km + commuter train back to Oceanside.
- Downtown San Diego to Coronado Island, Mexico Border (mainly flat) - 70km with train to San Diego and back to Oceanside.
- Oceanside to Bonsall, (level to rolling with hilly section from Bonsall to Oceanside) - 60km + option for hillier/more scenic route.
- Irvine, Lake Forest, Laguna Nigel, Dana Point, San Clemente (rolling hills San Clemente) - 45km + train to Irvine and back from San Clemente.
- San Clemente, Dana Harbor, San Juan Capistrano (rolling hills San Clemente) - 40km + train to and from San Clemente.
- Oceanside, Carlsbad, San Marcos, Escondido (gradual climb) 60km + light rail or option to ride back to Oceanside.
- Old Town San Diego, Ocean Beach, Point Loma, Cabrillo National Monument (hill), Downtown San Diego - 50km + train to and from San Diego.
Tuesday January 21, 2020
The Hub and Spoke will end early afternoon after a morning ride.Registration and Participant Selection:
Registration will be on the website on the date shown. Prioity will be given to those who responded to the club email of Oct 23 and indicated an interest in the Oceanside 2 trip.
A $50 USD is required at the time of registration. This deposit is non-refundable
The selection process will consider the following criteria when evaluating candidates: fitness and rding ability compatible with an intermediate level tour, a history of demonstrating safe riding practices, and acceptable social behaviour
The leader may interview riders or others who know them to verify suitability for the tour
If the ride is not filled to capacity, registration will continue until the closing date shownParticipants:
Mike Bonnor, Ralph Buchmuller, Carol Crane, Rob Haigh, Denise Howes, valerie johnson, Brendan Kennelly, Paddy Kirk, Marilyn Lambert, Philip Lambert, Brian Livsey, Don Mais, kim martin, Maggie McNeill, Neil McNeill, Allen Olsen, Ilka Olsen, Madhuri Pendharkar, John Pringle, Leslie Rodgers, Allan Smyth, Leith Smyth, Lawrence Vea, Thomas Vernon