You need to login in order to sign up for this ride. ‐‐ Completed
- Leader: Eamonn Ryan 250-898-4772
- Co-leader: Rhonda Ryan 250-334-6357
- Trip Dates: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 -- Thu, 19 Sep 2019
- Trip Classification: Intermediate/ Advanced
- Trip Fee: $2325 CAD
- Trip Numbers: minimum 12 , maximum 12
- Trip Registration Opens: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 8:00 AM (pacific time)
- Registration Lottery Ends: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 11:59 PM (pacific time)
- Trip Registration Closes: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 11:59 PM (pacific time)
Beginning and ending in Killarney, Co. Kerry this tour will provide riders with breathtaking scenery in the southwest corner of Ireland. From majestic cliffs to white sandy beaches to scenic lakes, ancient castles and manor houses, this trip promises to provide lasting memories of the beautiful Emerald Isle.
Cycle the famous Ring of Kerry. Explore the Dingle Peninsula. Share your tales at the end of the day over a pint of Guinness in one of the numerous local pubs and restaurants.
The tour is designed to allow participants lots of choice as to how much or how little to ride overall. After getting set up with your bikes, the tour starts with a warm up loop ride around Killarney. Then it's off on an unforgettable tour which includes seven travel days and four stopover or "rest" days. An optional loop ride is available on all rest days. Participants can choose to ride all, some or none of the optional loops. They can choose to shorten any of the loop distances by doing "out-and-back" instead. Alternatively riders may choose to take a day off from the saddle and explore the local attractions by foot. There will be lots to choose from each day.Accommodation Reservations:
Hotels, lodges, guesthouses and B&B's.Riding Conditions:
Paved roads well suited to cycling in a lightly populated part of the Country. The hilly conditions reflect the rating of intermediate/ advanced. The roads are a combination of narrow winding relatively quiet country roads and busier auto-routes. Shoulders may or may not be available. Possibility of high winds. Refer to the distances and ascents and maximum gradients shown in the itinerary.Fee Includes:
- 13 nights’ accommodation in hotels/B&B’s based on double occupancy. Singles will be expected to share rooms with same-sex participants.
- Luggage transportation between accommodations
- PDF downloads of all route maps and turn-by-turn instructions using Ride With GPS. Optional rest day rides also provided.
- Access to CCCTS membership privileges with Ride With GPS which includes voice directed navigation on your GPS or mobile device.
- Daily group meetings led by the tour leaders. Snacks and non-alcoholic beverages during group meetings.
- leaders fees as per CCCTS guidelines
- a 15% contingency fund for currency exchange variation or other issues
- Airfare and ground transportation to and from airport to Killarney, Co. Kerry, Ireland
- Bike rental. Tour leaders will attempt to negotiate a favourable group rate with a local cycle shop. If you plan to rent, check with the leaders first.
- Meals except breakfasts as specifically provided by hotels or B&B’s
Day 1: Bike fitting / meet and greet / briefing
Day 2: Killarney Loop Ride (55.7 km/ 779m or 90.6/ 1093) – 9%
Day 3: Killarney to Gougane Barra (62.8 km/ 945m or 77.1/ 958) – 7%
Day 4: Gougane Barra to Bantry, the rugged glen (55.2 km/ 450m) – 5%
Day 5: Rest day or Bantry Loop Ride (49.7 km/ 750m) – 12%
Day 6: Bantry to Kenmare (58.0 km/ 752m) – 12%
Day 7: Rest day or Kenmare Loop Ride (87.2 km/ 984m)– 11%
Day 8: Kenmare to Waterville (77.8 km/ 904m) – max 6%
Day 9: Rest day or Waterville Loop (30.09 km/ 237m or 51.3 km/ 847m) – 13%
Day 10: Waterville to Killorglin (56.8 km / 737m) – 9%
Day 11: Killorglin to Dingle (56.5 km / 496m) – 5%
Day 12: Rest day or Dingle Loop, (55.7 km /557) – 6%
Day 13: Dingle to Killarney (63.1 km / 783m or 76.6 km / 920m) – 10%
Day 14: Tour ends after breakfast.
Registration will take place on the CCCTS website at the date and time noted above, with a $50 deposit. A computer-generated lottery system will be used to assist in the selection of riders and waitlist in the event that the ride is oversubscribed. The lottery signup will run until the closing date shown. If the tour is oversubscribed at that time, a wait list will automatically be generated and the leader will review the results.
The registrants will be considered in terms of suitability for the tour according to the following criteria:
- fitness and riding experience relative to this tour
- safe riding habits demonstrated on previous rides
- acceptable social behaviour
The leader may contact registrants or others who know them to verify their suitability. The leader may select up to 30% of the candidates based on preference. The leader will contact registrants within 2 weeks of the close of lottery. Successful registrants will be directed to make the second payment within at that time.
If the ride is not filled to capacity, registration will still be allowed up until the registration close date shown above. Deposits and payments are non-refundable unless replacement person(s) are found.
Payment Schedule: $50 at registration, $1,000 when accepted, final $1,275 on June 30, 2019
mark brumbaugh, David Danforth, Patricia Danforth, Bonnie Evoy, Carole Laflamme, Nancy Luitwieler, Nancy O’Higgins, Claire Parker, Eamonn Ryan, Rhonda Ryan, gaye swanson, Joanne Tuttle