Minutes of the September Meeting of the Victoria Chapter

 

CCCTS GREATER VICTORIA CHAPTER — BOARD MEETING

10 am Monday 16 Sept 2109 @ Don’s Home  

MEETING MINUTES

Present:  Alex Laird—President; Allen Olsen—Treasurer; Donna Kerkhoven—Ride Coordinator;

Don Mais—Social Convener; ilka Olsen–Secretary

Call to order — 1005

APPROVAL OF AGENDA—approved as amended.

APPROVAL OF 22 JULY 2019 MINUTES—approved as submitted. Action—Alex to post.

CARRY FORWARD

Insurance Policy—Unresolved by National Board; Carry Frw
Advocacy—ilka to provide Donna contact re CRD Trails—done; Lochside Park gravel issue somewhat improved/continue to monitored; general discussion of problem areas.
Safe Cycling Guidelines/Website Post/Group Riding—Ongoing issue of a few outliers not heeding guidelines nor leader’s warnings. Action: Consider bylaw change at AGM to allow leaders to enforce rules via warnings and/or removal from ride.
National Board Meeting Minutes—All in agreement that it would be helpful to read minutes prior to chapter meetings.

Carry Frw: National Board minutes to become standing agenda item.

PRESIDENT’S REPORT

Max McClanahan—Died 12 Aug while on Club Gaspe tour.  Will be incredibly difficult to replace his skills and commitment on National. Craig Miller has been authorized by National to approach ISPs to deal with access issues to website programs.
Cycling Jersey Issues—Brief update of sizing problem. National dealing with issue.
YouTube Video/NewsbriefMonthly educational sections have already begun. Alex plans to continue to search for pertinent topics and to post.
Insurance Policy Motion from July—see Carry Forward above.
CRD Cycling Map— Maps needed for Hub & Spoke 2020.  Discussion included possibility to have CCCTS included in Destination Victoria’s marketing material.  Action: Donna to pursue this idea.

 

 

TREASURER’S REPORT

Reimbursement for Missing Link classes to National—Received; e-transfer set up with Doris Maron, National’s Treasurer.
Deposit to Christmas Band$75 cheque provided for Don to submit.
Financial Report—Allen prepared profit & loss statement spread sheet and passed it around.   Account balance: $5,931

RIDE COORDINATOR’S REPORT

Busy Roads/Groups of 4-5/Safety Issues on recent Hub & Spokes—All items discussed and solutions suggested.  Pace, Space with Grace reminder should be made by leaders prior to onset of rides; Renfrew to Sooke road section noted as very poor (some Duncan Tour participants voiced concern)/question arose whether National considers road conditions prior to approval; “Sign Posting” discussed as important part of keeping grouptogether for successful ride.
Monitoring Road Conditions—Donna has begun sending out notices of closures or poor conditions.  Action:  Donna to send 2nd notice of Swan Lake trestle closure.
Victoria Hub & Spoke 2020 Planning—Preliminary planning: Meet & Greet, accommodation, meeting room, meeting location, leaders, ride variety & classification, information packet, farewell dinner, expenses, adding panier ride immediately following Hub & Spoke. Attempt to reschedule to 1-4 June rather than 14-18 Sept? Action:  Alex to check with George Zorn.

Action:  Alex to contact Red Lion & Accent Inn to determine group reservation costs with meeting room included.

Unauthorized Postings from CCCTS to Cycling Adventures (meetup group)—Brief discussion of social media problems.  No remedy available for vexing problem.

SOCIAL CONVENER’S REPORT

Autumn Pie & Ice Cream Event—Ute & Jim have offered to host again; pies will be baked by members again.  Expenses to be reimbursed.

Action: Don confirmed date: Sunday 23 Oct @ 1230 after morning ride; will send out invitation.

Mac McClanahan—Don sent card of condolence to Valerie Chu on behalf of Club.
Howl at the Moon Report—Don submitted summary to Alex; it did not make it into Chapter News; at this point deemed too late, but will be posted in the spring to increaseinterest for next year’s event.
Including Former MembersMikkel & Rolf have submitted a list of long-time former members who may be interested in being invited to certain social events such as the Christmas Party.
Christmas PartyVenue & band booked.  Price of tickets discussed; deemed important to offer dinner/dance below $50 to encourage increased participation. Discussion.  Consensus reached on $45 & subsidizing any cost overruns. Ticket production process discussed.

Motion: Subsidize any costs over $45.  

Action: Don will contact Rolf re ticket template.

New Year’s Party—Cornelia & Mikkel have confirmed hosting again.  Expenses will be reimbursed.

SECRETARY’S ITEMS

Post-Meeting Change Requests to Minutes–Discussion of vetting minutes and when to post. Action:  Minutes posted to website to clearly indicate DRAFT prior to approval at following meeting.
Advocacy/Cowichan Trail—ilka noted personal email submission to trail manager of risky clearance issues on new Trail.  Trail deficiencies discussed. Further discussion ofsubmitting through Club to increase impact of concerns; Club to follow-up until response has been received.

Action:  All board members to send draft for vetting prior to any submission.

ADJOURNMENT–1234                              

NEXT MEETING—Thursday 14 Nov Olsen’s @9.30

.