CCCTS Ride Guidelines Appendix C:
Ride Participant Selection Process – October 3, 2020
Subject to Tour Leader suitability vetting, Tours and Hub and Spokes participants will be selected based on the Club website’s random number assigned between 1 and 1000. The “Lottery System”. Exceptions to this policy can only be approved by the Board of Directors. Procedures/ conditions are as follows:
- Members who wish to share accommodation should register on-line as “partners”. The number assigned to each partner is added and divide by two to assign their Lottery number.
- In consultation with the Ride Director, the Ride Leader (RL) may give priority to members with special skills, or who take on special Ride responsibilities. For Tours, the number of priority members assisting with the Tour is limited to 30% of the maximum number of members on the Tour to a maximum of 6 members. For Hub & Spokes Rides, there is no limit on the number of priority members assisting with the Hub & Spoke Ride. Having no limit is particularly relevant in the organization of Chapter Hub & Spoke events where 100 – 150 cyclists may be registered.
- RLs are also encouraged to screen all registrants for their suitability prior to being accepted on a ride. This may be done by checking references from other club members, or by interviewing the candidate by telephone or in person. Criteria can include:
- Physical conditioning for the riding necessary to complete the daily distances and climbs for the tour. This criteria may not be relevant on a hub and spoke where optional rides are offered.
- A history of demonstrating safe and competent riding practices and skills, as outlined in the club safety guidelines.
- A history of acceptable social behavior in a group setting.
See Ride Guidelines Appendix A: CCCTS Code of Conduct 2020
Disqualification (rejection) will only be done in consultation with the applicable Ride Director. Registrants may also withdraw, if, after discussions with the leader, they feel they are not well suited to the tour.
- Successful Ride applicants, chosen as outlined above, will be placed on the go-list and required to pay the tour payment or first instalment (Tours). Unsuccessful applicants, based on the Ride’s posted maximum capacity, can be placed on a wait list. The wait list will be treated, if space occurs, on an assigned lottery number basis. If a vacancy occurs the next applicant(s) in line will be notified and given 72 hours to confirm their intentions and in the case of a Tour to make the tour payment or first instalment.
- When registrations exceed the posted maximum capacity, a second tour or hub and spoke may be formed if a leader can be found and will generally take the wait-listed persons. If balancing the tour sizes is desired, volunteers can be requested to switch tours. If permitted by the leaders, participants may also switch tours for other reasons. The Ride Leader will do their best to meet the desires of Ride participants, but the final decision will rest with the RL.
2020 CCCTS RIDE GUIDELINES APPENDIX D: LIABILITY WAIVER FOR CCCTS PARTICIPANTS – April 3, 2020
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS, ASSUMPTION OF RISKS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT TO:
The Cross Canada Cycle Tour Society (“CCCTS”) and its directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives, volunteers, guides, independent contractors, subcontractors, sponsors, successors and assigns (all of whom hereinafter are collectively referred to as “the Releasees”).
ASSUMPTION OF RISKS: I am aware that participation in CCCTS Activities involves many risks, dangers and hazards including, but not limited to: changing weather conditions; mechanical failure of bicycles; loss of balance; difficulty or inability to control one’s speed and direction; variation or changes in the cycling surface including holes, depressions, loose gravel, rocks, mud, snow, creeks, etc.; impact or collision with pedestrians, motor vehicles or other cyclists; encounters with domestic or wild animals, failing to cycle safely within one’s own ability; and negligence on the part of the Releasees, including the failure of the Releasees to take reasonable steps to safeguard or protect me from the risks, dangers and hazards of CCCTS Activities. I freely accept and fully assume all such risks, dangers and hazards and the possibility of personal injury, death, property damage or loss resulting therefrom. I have been advised that CCCTS policy requires mandatory use of an approved helmet while riding a bicycle.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY, WAIVER OF CLAIMS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT: In consideration of the Releasees allowing my participation in CCCTS Activities and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is acknowledged, I hereby agree as follows:
1. To waive any and all claims that I have or may in the future have against the Releassees, and to release the Releasees from any and all liability for any loss, damage, expense or injury including death or incapacity that I may suffer or incur or that my next of kin may suffer of incur during my participation in CCCTS Activities, due to any cause whatsoever, including negligence, breach of contract, or breach of any statutory or other duty of care on the part of the Releasees, and including the failure on the part of the Releasees to safeguard or protect me from the risks, dangers and hazards of CCCTS Activities referred to above.
2. To hold harmless and indemnify the Releasees from any and all liability for any property damage or personal injury to any third party resulting from my participation in CCCTS Activities.
3. This Agreement shall be effective and binding upon my heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators, assigns and representatives, in the event of my death.
4. This Agreement and any rights, duties and obligations as between the parties to this Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted solely in accordance with the laws of British Columbia and no other jurisdiction.
5. Any litigation involving the parties to this Agreement shall be brought solely within the Province of British Columbia and shall be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of British Columbia.
In entering into this Agreement I am not relying on any oral or written representations or statements made by the Releasees with respect to the safety of CCCTS Activities, other than what is set forth in this Agreement.
I CONFIRM THAT I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THIS AGREEMENT PRIOR TO SIGNING IT, AND I AM AWARE THAT BY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT I AM WAIVING CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHT’S, WHlCH I OR MY HEIRS, NEXT OF KIN, EXECUTORS, ADMINISTRATORS, ASSIGNS AND REPRESENTATIVES MAY HAVE AGAINST THE RELEASEES
This Liability Waiver can be produced as a Bulk Waiver Form by the Ride Director or Ride Leader with all Ride Participants’ Names listed and space for each participant to sign the Form. The Waiver From must be signed by each participant prior to the start of the Ride. Signed Waiver Forms are archived on the Club website’s Ride Admin page for each Ride by the Ride Director immediately (within 1 week) after the completion of the Ride.
2020 CCCTS RIDE GUIDELINES APPENDIX E: FINANCIAL WAIVER FOR CCCTS RIDE PARTICIPANTS March 13, 2020 (Oct. 12, 2020: selected clauses may be merged with Appendix D – Ride Liability Waiver)The following points have been agreed to by the Club’s directors to achieve a common understanding regarding finances prior to departure on a tour.
(1) Basic principles are that the Ride funds collected by the Club’s Treasurer belong to the Ride participants and will be turned over to the Ride Leader at the start of the Ride.
(2) The participants pay their own way, control expenditures, and decide on the distribution of unused funds after the Ride.
(3) The Ride Leader will act as the group’s treasurer or will appoint a competent Ride treasurer who will keep an accurate record of all money spent and will ensure proper receipts are obtained for all expenditures.
(4) At the end of the Ride, the Ride treasurer will turn over all records and receipts to the Club Treasurer who, together with the Club auditor, will review the accounts.
(5) Participants will be informed by the Ride Leader at the start of the Ride or as needed what the pooled funds will cover -such as food, camping fees, motel accommodations (if any), support vehicle and driver.
(6) Members who join the Ride with the clearly stated intention of going part-way or who leave the Ride before the end because of unavoidable circumstances may be charged on a pro-rata basis together with their full share of fixed costs. Members who withdraw will have their deposits held to cover all costs incurred on their behalf until the final Ride cost accounting.
(7) Persons wishing non-standard items (that is, items not covered under #6 above) will pay for these extra expenses and there may be no refunds for missed meals or days away from the tour.
(8) If the Ride Leader or Organization Team alters the itinerary because of adverse weather or road conditions or other valid reasons, then the former itinerary may become void and the expenses of the new itinerary will be covered by tour funds.
By signing this document, I hereby accept these arrangements and further agree, if expenses exceed the estimated cost of the Ride, to pay an additional amount calculated on a shared basis.